Posted by Truphone on December 04, 2008
Described by Apple itself as the ‘funnest’ iPod ever, the iPod touch may now be the ‘useful-est’ too thanks to the release of Truphone for the iPod touch, which effectively turns one into a mobile phone.
The application is free to both download and use, just in time to save precious cash when making those Christmas calls to friends and family.
Once installed, and with the addition of microphone adaptor (which you can get from the Apple Store, or from us very shortly), an iPod touch owner can make free calls - no matter where they are in the world - to other iPod touch owners, to customers of Truphone’s Internet telephony service, and to users of the Google Talk™ instant messaging service.
Truphone for the iPod touch will become a one-stop-shop social hub with the following features coming soon:
· Making and receiving calls to and from landlines (PSTN) at low cost (simply set yourself up with a Truphone account)
· Instant messaging to Skype and MSN (free)
· Calling to Skype users (free)
· Calling to MSN users (free)
· Check and set facilities for Twitter (free)
· Check and set facilities for Facebook (free)
The application uses the iPod touch's Wi-Fi connection to carry calls over the Internet to its destination. There is no monthly line rental, no subscription or other hidden charges.
So, what type of calls can you make?
· iPod touch to iPod touch
· iPod touch to Truphone (some Nokia handsets)
· Truphone (some Nokia handsets plus iPhone) to iPod touch
· iPod touch to Google Talk PC user
And what do you need, to make these calls?
· A second generation iPod touch (i.e. current model)
· A headset and microphone like those for the iPhone. These may be bought at high street electronics retailers or from an Apple Store
· Friends also using Truphone!
So, if you want to start impressing people by calling them without using a 'real phone', why not download Truphone for the iPod touch now. We look forward to hearing what you think of it.